Saturday, June 28, 2008








Wow! What a trip across the Gulf of Alaska! The winds reached nearly 50 MPH in gusts! As a result, the wave troughs were 10-20 feet, and the boat rocked and rolled. The captain slowed the ship down to about 15-18 knots, so it took us longer than scheduled. I must admit that I got a little nauseous.

When we left Whittier we sailed due north in College Fjord to view several glaciers, all named after colleges; Harvard, Yale and others. It was spectacular! I got up at 4:15 a.m. so that I could take them all in. We stopped a short distance from the glaciers for one hour so that everyone who wanted to could view them and take pictures.

The ship then retraced our route through Port Wells and Wells Passage into Prince William Sound. When we hit Prince William Sound, we traveled across the sound and out the Hitchinbrook Entrance into the Gulf of Alaska. Draw a straight line from there to Sitka Sound and you would have our route.

As we traveled across the Gulf of Alaska we were attending a song and dance revue by the entertainment group. I was struggling, as the room was swaying back and forth. I don’t know why the entertainers weren’t bothered by it, but they didn’t appear to be.

We arrived in Sitka Sound Friday, June 27th at about 8:00 a.m. Since this is a shallow water harbor, the captain anchored the ship out about ½ mile from the town and we were shuttled in by the lifeboats, 125 persons at a time. It took a long time.

Sitka is a beautiful town. We shopped. I bought a large map of Alaska so that I could follow our route, and I also bought a hat and Melva and I bought Alaska coats. We also took photos which I will include. But, most important, Melva collected a “free” charm for her charm bracelet. We returned to the boat about 1:00 p.m. and had lunch. Melva is sitting in the lobby doing some woman things, and I am in the stateroom typing this blog.

No comments: